Depending on the type of study you intend to undertake, there are eight (8) types of student visas that fall under this visa category:

  1. The English Language Course Visa – Subclass 570
    This visa subclass is for students enrolled on a full-time basis in a registered English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) in Australia.
  2. The School Sector Visa – Subclass 571
    This visa subclass is suitable for students enrolled full-time at a primary or secondary school, including junior and senior secondary. It is also for students participating in the secondary school exchange program in Australia.
  3. The Vocational Education and Training Sector Visa – Subclass 572
    This visa covers students enrolled full-time in registered vocational education and training courses. Courses available under this visa include: Certificates I, II, III & IV (with the exception of ELICOS), Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Vocational Graduate Certificate or Vocational Graduate Diploma courses in Australia.
  4. The Higher Education Sector Visa – Subclass 573
    This visa subclass is suitable for students enrolled on a full-time basis in a registered course leading to the award of:
    • A Bachelor or Associate Degree;
    • A Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma;
    • A Master Degree by coursework;
    • A Higher Education Diploma; or
    • Advanced Diploma courses in Australia.
  5. The Postgraduate Research Sector Visa – Subclass 574
    This visa covers students enrolled on a full-time basis in registered courses for the award of a Master Degree by research or a Doctoral Degree in an Australian educational institution.
  6. The Non Award Sector Visa – Subclass 575
    This visa is for students enrolled full-time in a registered course that is a non-award, foundation studies course. It could be a course or components of a course (other than ELICOS) that does not lead to an Australian educational qualification or award.
  7. The AusAID or Defence Sector Visa – Subclass 576
    This visa is designed for international students sponsored by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the Department of Defence.
  8. Student Guardian Visa – Subclass 580
    A guardian of an international student may be eligible for this visa. The international student must be younger than 18 years of age and studying in Australia on a Student Visa.

Student Visa Assessment Levels

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) considers each Student Visa application on its own merits. The DIBP uses a risk rating system called Assessment Levels (ALs). This system aligns student visa requirements against immigration risk. Assessment Levels can change depending on the country of origin of the applicant and the type of education the applicant wishes to study.

Within the Student Visa program, the DIBP utilises three Assessment Levels. Your application will be assessed against one of these levels. Assessment Level 1 represents the lowest risk to immigration and Assessment Level 3 represents the highest risk. If your application is deemed to be at a higher Assessment Level, you will need to provide more evidence to support your visa application.

Please contact us at Great Journey Migration for more information about your assessment level and eligibility for a student visa.

The Streamlined Visa Processing Arrangement

Recently, the DIBP have streamlined visa processing arrangements for some prospective students of participating education providers. To take advantage of the streamlined Student Visa process, you will need to lodge your visa application along with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from a participating education provider in Australia. The following courses are eligible for the streamlined arrangement:

Under the streamlined student visa program, eligible students will not be assessed using the Assessment Levels. This is because under these arrangements, a student visa applicant is considered to be a low immigration risk. As a result, applicants will generally not have to submit as much supporting evidence when applying for a student visa.

Student Visa Financial Requirements

To be granted a Student Visa, international students need to show that they have genuine access to enough funds to cover expenses for the first one or two years of living in Australia. How much depends on the student’s Assessment Level.

This helps students make the most of their studies and ensures a safe, secure and enjoyable experience of life in Australia. Your financial resources should be enough to cover the cost of tuition, the school costs of any dependents, the cost of travel as well as general living costs.

The financial requirements for international students are outlined in the table below. These figures are valid from 1 July 2012.

Student expenses Each person Amount needed in $AUD
Travel Applicant Return airfare to Australia
Family member/s One return airfare to Australia per person
Tuition Applicant Course fees
Children aged 5-18 (school age) AUD 8 000 per year
Living Applicant AUD 18 610 per year
Partner AUD 6 515 per year
First child AUD 3 720 per year
Per child after the first child AUD 2 790 per year

The Genuine Temporary Entrant

Introduced by DIBP to improve the integrity of the student visa program, the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement (GTE) is a check to ensure that student visa applicants are both a GTE and a genuine student. This means students are granted a visa by virtue of having a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily.

The DIBP will consider the following factors for the GTE requirement:

At Great Journey Migration, our agents can advise you on your eligibility for each student visa and help you decide which visa is suitable for you.

Contact us for more information on your visa eligibility. Please call us at +61 413 910 985 or drop us an email at